Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

My Reading Preferences Then and Now

What did you like to read when you were young? 
I have always been an avid reader. I was very fond of fantasy books. I loved books about princess, witches, dragons, and vampires have always fascinated me. I loved reading Mary Poppins, the Oz books, The Last Unicorn, Charlotte’s Web, A Wrinkle in Time, The Chronicles of Narnia, and Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. I also likes mysteries. I loves Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, and Encyclopedia Brown. Science fiction was fun to read when I was a child. My favorite Science Fiction books were H.G. Wells classic, The War of the Worlds, and Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card. I started reading Shakespeare in fourth grade. I loved the comedies, and some of the tragedies.

What do you like to read now? 
            I am still a big fan of fantasy books. My favorite author is Terry Brooks. I also read a lot of historical fiction books. I love stories about the kings and queens of England. The Other Boleyn Girl was one of my favorites. I also tend to read quite a bit more non-fiction than I did as a child. I love reading Shakespeare, I have developed a love of his histories. I also read a lot of poetry.

How have your reading interests changed over the years? 
            The biggest changes in my reading habits are I have lost interest in Science Fiction books. They just don’t interest me anymore. I also have not red a mystery in several years. Now, I like historical fiction, which I hated as a child. I still love Shakespeare, but now, I love all his plays. When I was younger, the only poetry I enjoyed was Shel Silverstein. Now, I love poets such as Robert Frost and Maya Angelou.

What do you think caused the change(s)?

The reason for this change is that as we grow, we mature and our interests change. Our reading preferences reflect these changes. Many thing that we did not understand as children, make sense to us now, and we can appreciate them. And, many things we loved as children, we have simply outgrown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment