Search This Blog

Monday, March 2, 2015

Pitfalls researchers Face!

There are many challenges that students must face when conducting research. One major problem is over abundance of information. Students have to sift through more information today, than ever before. It is very difficult to narrow a topic when there are so many resources available. Which leads to the next challenge, sticking topic. So many students fill their research paper with so many elements, the papers lack consistency. Finding credible resources in the midst of all the questionable resources can also lead students astray.

The information overload is not the only thing that causes pitfalls for researchers, sometimes the researcher is their own worst enemy. There are many things that students do themselves that hinder their performance. Some researchers will wait until the last minute, and then they do not have enough time to complete their work. Also, students can suffer from anxiety, which can hinder their cognitive functions. Anxiety can come from a fear of failure, which becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.


I used to be overcome with performance anxiety, and it made my work suffer. Procrastination can also cause me some struggles. For example, I put off working on my assignments until the last few days, and sudden illness caused me to fail completing the work on time. For me, procrastination is part of the anxiety issues. I fear messing up my paper, and so I put it off until the last minute. Information overload is not a major issue for me, however, my son has many issues with this.




No comments:

Post a Comment